01 September, 2005

Katrina

I've not read a lot about Hurrican Katrina, but what I've heard absolutely baffles me. I cannot begin to imagine being in a situation where I'm told I have to leave my house and seek shelter or potentially die. Nature's fury is unbelievable! A few things about the storm got me thinking:

1. What would it be like to have to sit on your roof top and watch the water level rise while you know the house below has been desecrated?
2. What would it be like to have a health problem (like diabetes) and go without food or water?
3. How can people be so animal-like in such desparate times? 9/11 pulled the nation together, while Katrina has people looting and fearing for their lives.

It may be a stretch, but it seems that the damage is so widespread it could be compared to the destruction done to Hiroshima. I'm sure it will take years and years and years and, well you get the point, to rebuild those cities and families. $25 BILLION in damage and flood waters as high as building rooftops seems too much to imagine. I hope and pray that people will join together to begin the rebuilding of the cities and towns that have been desecrated, and that God will show his grace to those in need.

No comments: