28 August, 2005

THE CHALLENGE

I've been thinking about losing weight for at least the past two years now. I've tried several different things and all along the thing I've missed is determination. I'm here to tell you the Atkins diet, the South Beach Diet, The Zone Diet or whatever other diet you may latch onto will not work. Weight loss is a matter of changing your habits.

Some of my thoughts I think will help me win:

--Eating healthy is a matter of eating within the food pyramid. A balance of protein, carbs, and other essentials is a must.
--Staying hydrated will help keep your stomach feeling full.
--Desserts are OK, but have to be eaten in moderation. The key to weight loss has to be healthy eating in moderation.
--Exercise is essential. Exercising at least 3 times per week for one half our each session seems to be a good start.
--Standing on the scale is only required at the onset of your journey. Daily weighing will only discourage you. I think you should weigh yourself when you begin the journey and then no peeking at the scale until 90 days has past
--Eating healthy can be a way of worshipping God. Your body is His temple. Why not treat it that way!

So here's the challenge:
If you've thought about losing weight (c'mon, don't be bashful...who hasn't!) then step on the scale this week and weigh yourself. My goal (and yours if you decide to join in) is to lose one pound per week for the balance of this year. I weighed myself tonight at 273.1 and will not peek for the next 90 days. Healthy eating and a good exercise program will help me get there. I'll keep you posted with weekly updates. I can do it, and so can you!

5 comments:

Nichan said...

As a woman who packed on the pounds during pregnancy, I have found myself very discouraged at the thought of trying to lose all the weight I gained during my pregnancy. For those who don't know, I gained over 60lbs and haven't lost a whole lot of it yet, with the obvious exception of the 7 lbs that my daughter weighed. It isn't that I don't want to lose weight...I am just completely unmotivated. Tired after a long day of work and taking care of my daughter, I act like all the weight I gained doesn't bother me because I am a "mom" now. However, it really does bother me and I would like very much to have more energy and be healthier. I will take this challenge, maybe a little difficult at first as we eat ALOT of take out. But, the first thing I need is determination. From there, anything is possible.

watbull said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt MItchell said...

Beth..Thanks for the blogging expertise. We all appreciate it.

To those that have accepted the challenge, Congratulations! I've failed miserably during the first day...donuts, muffins, rice pudding, fried chicken wings...I guess there's always tomorrow.

Matt MItchell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

home equity loans